Advantages of friction:
- Friction enables us to walk freely.
- It helps to support ladder against wall.
- It becomes possible to transfer one form of energy to another.
- Objects can be piled up without slipping.
- Breaks of vehicles work due to friction.
Disadvantages of friction:
- It always resists the motion, so extra energy is required to overcome it.
- It causes wear and tear of machines.
- It decreases the life expectancy of moving parts of vehicles.
Methods of increasing friction: In many cases, friction is very useful. So, enough friction is required and hence become necessary to increase the friction. Some of the common methods of increasing friction are:
- Spreading sand in slippery roads.
- Making rough shoe soles.
- Making surface of footpath rough.
- Fitting spikes in sport shoes.
Methods of reducing friction: In many cases, friction is very harmful. So, friction needs to be reduced. Some og the ways of reducing frictions are:
- Polishing or smoothing the surfaces.
- By the use of lubricants which increases the smoothness of the surface.
- Giving streamlines shape to submarines, jets etc
- By using ball bearing in wheels.