Some of the physical quantities and their dimension are given below:
Importance of dimensional equations:
- It is used to check the correctness of the physical equation.
- It is used to derive the relation between various physical quantities.
- It is used to convert the value of physical quantity from one system of unit to another systems. (Example: Joule to erg, Newton to dyne)
- It is used to find the dimension of a constant in a given equation.
Limitations of dimension analysis:
- It does not give information about the dimensionless constant.
- If a quantity depends on more than three factors having dimension, the formula cannot be determined.
- We cannot derive the formula containing trigonometric function, exponential functions and logarithmic function etc.
- The exact form of the relation cannot be developed when there are more than one part in any relation
- It gives no information whether a physical quantity is a vector or scalar.